Wednesday, May 7, 2008

As Queen says...

We are the champions, my friends! I can easily say that was the most exciting/intense bowling I have done in Chicago. It took FOUR games to do it but we did it! Let me explain.

I was more nervous and tight last night than I ever was for the Open. Silly, I know but it is what it is. The first game I just bowled bad. I was nervous. I was not following through. My spare ball was missing by about a board everywhere. Not good. We end up losing the first game by 15 pins and I bowled 25 under my average. Yikes.

Sidenote: Half way through the first game, I start drinking. It helped me relax. Also, Funk walked in during the 3rd frame of game one. Talking to him helps as well.

The 2nd game I bowl closer to average. I was still about 10 pins off. Well, that game came down to the anchors. We had an 8 pin advantage going into the anchors. At this point there is about 20 people around watching the game. The opposing team anchor throws two strikes and then an 8...how did he not knock nine or more down??? I have no idea. Our anchor throws a strike and then his second ball is beautiful but leaves the 8 pin. He picks it up for TIE!!!!!! A TIE!!!

Now, begins the dicussion. If we win series do we win OR does a team have to win two games??? Well, we bowl really well the 3rd game. We have a 1150 (230 per person). I bowl a 191. The jack and diets are flowing now. At this point, both Michelle and Funk are there. Michelle showed up early part of the 3rd game. The other team rolls a 1080. Well, we won series.

Out comes the USBC rule book out of everyone's back pockets. I mean don't you carry it there? I never leave home without it. haha. So, rule 401(a)17 states that the maximum compensation under a defined benefit plan...never mind...bad joke. The rule states that series does not matter. You must win two games.

Well, at this point it is 10:30 and a night owl league is starting at 11 so we have to move 10 lanes down. I have a new respect for the pros. The 3rd game was 1150-1080. This game was 990 to 940. We were allowed no warmups on these lanes. I started off awful. I opened the first four frames but most people started bad. I regrouped and put 100 pins on the next six frames. We pulled away in the end.

So, after the dust settled, we found out that the losing team did get money. They got $400. So, I just did all that for $20??? Well, I can say I am champion of one of the oldest leagues in Chicago.

I want to thank both Funk and Michelle for showing up. I appreciated the distraction.

I am happy to close this chapter of bowling. I had a rough year but a successful team year and that is all that matters!

1 comment:

Cletus Van Dam said...

401(a)17! That's hilarious.